Update 1/2/2021: Looks like these credits are being extended for people with renewal date after January 1, 2021. It’s unclear what the new cutoff point will be but hopefully American Express will provide something more official in the coming days (I suspect it will cover Q1 2021 to begin with). Hat tip to Frugal Nellie.
American Express is sending out ‘Customer Appreciation Credits’ which post after you paid your annual fee. We posted earlier about the $200 Business Platinum credit, and now many are reporting similar credits on other business Amex cards that come with annual fees:
- Delta SkyMiles Reserve Business ($550 fee) – $125 annual fee credit
- Delta Platinum Business ($250 fee) – $75 annual fee credit
- Marriott Bonvoy Business ($125 fee) – $50 annual fee credit
- Hilton Business ($95 fee) – $50 annual fee credit
- Platinum Business ($595 fee) – $200 annual fee credit
Some are getting this via email and others are seeing it as a banner ad in their Amex login. At this time it’s unclear if these credits are for everyone or targeted based on your history or whatnot.
It’s seems somewhat clear (though not confirmed) that those whose card renewals aren’t until January 2021 or beyond will not get a credit. It’s not yet clear about those whose renewals are in 2020; many have gotten emails about the credit while others have not. It might just be a matter of waiting until it gets sent out to everyone. That’s my personal guess, we’ll see.
(Update: Multiple readers were told this specifically by a rep – the appreciation bonus is for those whose annual fees renew between May 1 and December 31.)
I don’t have a copy of the terms, but they are likely similar to the the ones on the Business Platinum card:
- Eligible Card Members as determined by American Express in its sole discretion, will be eligible to receive a one-time statement credit after Card renewal.
- The statement credit will be applied to the eligible card account within 8-12 weeks of the account renewal month.
- This statement credit is limited to Basic (not Additional) Card Members only.
- Offer is non-transferable.
- If the eligible Card is cancelled, or you have downgraded or upgraded your Card up to 45 days after the first day of your renewal month, you will not receive the one-time $200 statement credit.
- American Express reserves the right to modify or revoke offer at any time.