Update 4/8/21: Reminder that the 25% bonus ends on April 10, 2021. Hat tip to MtM for the reminder.
[Update 6/4/20: The 3x supermarkets/restaurants enhancement has gone live early since June 2nd, instead of August 23rd.]
Citi is making a number of changes to the Citi Premier. The changes are as follows:
- Card will no longer offer a 25% bonus when points are used through the travel center. This goes into effect on April 10th, 2021 for existing customers and August 23rd, 2020 for new customers
- Card will earn 3x ThankYou points per $1 spent on supermarkets and restaurants (including takeout) starting August 23rd for both new & existing customers
- Cardmembers will continue to earn 3X ThankYou points on every $1 spent on air travel, hotels and gas stations
- 3X ThankYou point benefit on all other travel such as cruises, toll, and parking and 2X ThankYou point benefit on entertainment will change to 1X ThankYou points on other travel and 1X ThankYou points on entertainment, respectively
- New travel benefit: $100 off on a single hotel stay of $500 or more (excluding taxes and fees) once per calendar year through Thankyou.com.
I think the new earning categories are definitely an improvement, 3x TYP with no cap is definitely one of the better cards for grocery purchases. Main downgrade is the loss of the 25% bonus when redeeming through the travel center.
The website is still showing the August 23rd date, but apparently information of this change was sent out to media contacts. I expect they’ll notify cardholders soon or release it with some sort press release.