Update 12/1/21: Just a reminder that this deal is slated to end today, December 1st. For some, this could be the best deal of the year, especially when stacked together with other deals, e.g. if you refer a friend from your card already earning 15x on Shop Small & Dining, you’ll now earn 19x on those purchases.
Check your American Express login (here) for the following offer:
- Refer a friend to signup for a new American Express card and get an extra 4x Membership Rewards points per dollar you spend on the referring card, up to $25,000 in spend (100,000 bonus points).
- Refer a friend to signup for a new American Express card and get an extra 4% bonus cash back on the referring card, up to $25,000 in spend ($1,000 bonus).
- On the business Platinum card, you’ll get 15,000 points on top of the 4x bonus; on all other cards your referrer bonus is just for the 4x bonus.
The new member will get a signup bonus as well – be sure to check what bonus is being offered on a referral link to ensure it is competitive.
The Fine Print
- Offer ends 12/1/21
- Earn additional points starting on the first date a referral results in an approved account for 3 months. That’s on top of the points you already earn.
- This offer can only be redeemed once.
This offer seems to be showing on most of Amex’s own non-branded cards, the exception being the odd cards like Schwab and OBC. On points cards the offer will be for 4x points bonus and on cash cards it’ll be for 4% cash back bonus. Remember, you can use a referral link from ANY of your cards to refer a friend to ANY Amex card they want to sign up for, so plan carefully which card you want to receive the 4x/4% back on.
The 4x/4% earning rate is in addition to the rewards you’d normally earn (e.g this would make the personal gold card earn 8x on grocery purchases or Blue Cash Preferred earn 10% cashback on grocery purchase). This offer is reminiscent of the 3x bonus they offered last year, though that offer had no maximum while this one has a max $25,000 in spend.
American Express referral bonuses are sometimes as high as 30,000 points or even up to 45,000 points so you do need to spend a lot to get more value out of this new promotion versus the standard referrer bonuses.
Please do not share any of your referrals in the comments below, if you do they will be deleted and any other referrals you have on the site will be removed as well.
Hat tip to reader Gordon