Update 3/12/22: Chase has now extended the Dining, Airbnb, and annual fee credit with the 50% bonus through June 30, 2022. The Away category still is showing the March 31, 2022 end date.
Original Post 9/30/21:
Sapphire Reserve: Get 50% more value with Pay Yourself Back® New categories! Get more value when you redeem your points for statement credits toward Airbnb, Away and dining purchases by Mar. 31, 2022.
Sapphire Preferred: Get 25% more value with Pay Yourself Back® New categories! Get more value when you redeem points for statement credits toward Airbnb and Away purchases by Mar. 31, 2022.
Here’s how I understand what’s coming on October 1st:
- they’re adding AirBnb and Away (awaytravel.com) as additional Pay Yourself Back options for October 2021 through March 2022 on both Sapphire Preferred and Sapphire Reserve
- the Dining option (including takeout and eligible delivery services) will be extended through March 2022 only for Sapphire Reserve cards only, not for Sapphire Preferred
- the Grocery and Home Improvement categories will expire today (September 30)
- as was showing previously, you can also offset your annual fee through December 31 as an additional Pay Yourself Back option on the Sapphire Reserve card
- as was showing previously, you can also choose Select Charities to Pay Yourself Back through December 2022 on both Sapphire Preferred and Sapphire Reserve
- (the option to Fund Vaccine through Lyft seems to be expiring on September 30)
We had reported that Chase would be extending Pay Yourself Back through December and that we didn’t know what the categories would be for the consumer card. It now appears that they’ve extended it all the way through March and that the categories are changing, as noted. The categories will remain the same for the business cards.
Chase Sapphire Reserve cardholders get 1.5¢ in value and Chase Sapphire Preferred cardholders get 1.25¢ in value when redeeming points against specific categories. Business cardholders get 1.25¢ on the Business Preferred & Plus and 1.1¢ on the Business Cash & Unlimited.
Sapphire Reserve still has the useful Dining category, but Sapphire Preferred categories won’t be useful to a lot of people.
(Just to clarify a point some people seem confused about in the comments: my understanding is that PYB redemption dates are the dates that you can actually make the redemption. It doesn’t matter when you make/made the purchase – until the end of today (September 30th) you’ll be able to redeem against groceries and once midnight strikes you won’t be able to do so; and after midnight tonight you should be able to redeem against Airbnb charges that were made in the past 90 days.)
Hat tip to readers James Bond, Bubba, Momo