Offer at a glance
- Maximum bonus amount: $50
- Availability: Nationwide
- Direct deposit required: No
- Additional requirements: $10 monthly deposits for 6 months; $50 initial deposit
- Hard/soft pull: Soft pull (make sure not to opt in for margins on the brokerage account)
- ChexSystems: Unknown
- Credit card funding: None
- Monthly fees: None
- Early account termination fee: Must maintain $50 for 6 months from when bonus is awarded
- Household limit: None listed
- Expiration date: None listed
- Open a Fidelity Cash Management or Investing account and get $50 when you set up a monthly deposit of $10 or more and maintain that for six months.
- You also need to fund the account with $50 or more from an outside source within 20 days of account opening in order to be eligible for the bonus.
The Fine Print
- This offer is available to new or existing Fidelity Brokerage Services LLC (“Fidelity”) customers who open a new, eligible Fidelity account on or after 9/30/2021 in the Fidelity Spire® app and establish the required automatic monthly deposit as detailed below. Offer is limited to one account per individual.
- Customers who were rewarded the $100 from the previous Spire Fixed Cash Offer from April 2021 to July 2021 are not eligible for this current offer.
In order to receive the bonus award, Spire users must comply with the following requirements:
- Register for the offer by opening a new, eligible Fidelity account on or after 9/30/2021. The eligible account must be opened within the Fidelity Spire® app. As a confirmation of your registration, an email will be sent to the email address you provided during the account opening process within 48 hours after the eligible account has been established in good order. Accounts opened with a designated Fidelity representative or through any means outside of the Fidelity Spire® app will not be registered or eligible for this offer.
- Eligible accounts include The Fidelity Account, Fidelity Cash Management Account, Fidelity Roth IRA, or a Fidelity Traditional IRA. No other accounts are eligible for this offer. Each eligible account has unique features which you should consider prior to opening. This offer does not constitute a recommendation by Fidelity as to which, if any, account is appropriate for your personal situation.
- For individuals who open a Roth or Traditional IRA account, in order to be eligible to contribute to the IRA (traditional or Roth) you will need to have earned income at least equal to any IRA contribution made for 2021. Individuals who max out their contribution for the calendar year are also not eligible for the bonus award. If an individual has no earned income, they will not be eligible to make contributions to the Roth or Traditional IRA and as a result not eligible for the bonus award.
- Establish an automatic monthly deposit with a minimum of $10 per month which must remain in effect for at least 6 months from the date of initial deposit. Fidelity may charge accounts that fail to comply with this requirement the cost of the bonus award.
- The Net Deposit at the end of the 20 days after account opening (“the qualification period”) must reach one of the following tiers. Deposits of $10.00 to $24.99 may receive $10, deposits of $25.00 to $49.99 may receive $25, and deposits of $50.00 or more may receive $50.00. Funding must come from an external, non-Fidelity source.
- For purposes of this offer, “Net Deposits” shall mean total external deposits or transfers (including cash, eligible securities and/or margin debit balance transfers) minus assets withdrawn or transferred out of the account within the qualification period.
- Account holders must maintain the bonus award (minus any losses related to trading or market volatility, or margin debit balances) in the account for at least 6 months from the date on which the bonus award is credited to the account. Fidelity may charge accounts that fail to comply with this requirement the cost of the bonus award.
- The bonus award will be deposited directly to the eligible account within 5 business days after the qualification period. Amounts deposited by you to qualify for the offer and by Fidelity in the form of the bonus award will be initially held in the eligible account’s core position. You will be provided information regarding the available core positions for the account type you select during the account opening process. Depending on the account type you select, you may have the option of selecting a money-market fund sponsored by a Fidelity affiliate as your core position. No further investment or trading is required to qualify for the offer.
- This offer is nontransferable, limited to a maximum of $50 per individual in 2021, and may not be combined with other offers.
- The promotion is not available for the following account types/products: Rollover IRAs; mutual fund only accounts; business accounts (including those opened by union officials); trust accounts; fiduciary accounts (including custodial accounts, estate accounts); college investment trust accounts; 529 college savings plan accounts; annuities; Fidelity managed accounts offered by Fidelity Personal and Workplace Advisors LLC; Fidelity Clearing and Custody Solutions (FCCS) clients; clients of registered investment advisors working with Fidelity Investments, and Stock Plan Services accounts. This offer is not valid for non-U.S. residents; persons employed by FINRA or a securities organization in a regulatory capacity; employees of Fidelity, its affiliates, and members of their immediate families and households, or the media who cover financial services.
- Cumulative bonus awards credited to taxable accounts associated with your social security number or tax identification number, as applicable, including those held at an affiliate of Fidelity, totaling $600 or more within a calendar year will appear on your consolidated Form 1099. You are encouraged to consult with your tax professional about appropriate tax reporting and treatment relating to this bonus award and the deposit of the bonus award in your account. Any taxes resulting from the bonus award are your responsibility.
Neither account has any monthly fees to worry about. The fine print does mention that you need to keep the bonus amount ($50) in the account for 6 months after it’s awarded.
Fidelity doesn’t typically offer any bonus for opening a cash management account or for opening a brokerage account. We did see a $100 bonus earlier this year; I don’t know if we’ll see something like that coming back. In any case, if someone wants to actually use Fidelity this is a good opportunity to start.
If you already have an account with Fidelity, you can open another eligible account and get the bonus, e.g. if you have the Cash Management account, you will be eligible for the bonus if you open an investment account (either open The Fidelity Account which I believe means a standard investment account, or open a Roth IRA or a traditional IRA). Readers have also noted that it’s possible to have two Cash Management accounts, and one reader reports being eligible for the bonus by opening a second one.
It seems from the fine print that the $50 won’t get reported on a tax form since it’s less than $600, though legally you might have to self-report this kind of income. (See additional tax discussion related to this from a previous Fidelity deal in the comments at this link.) We’ve added this to our list of Best Brokerage Bonuses.
Hat tip to reader AllenW
Useful posts regarding bank bonuses:
- A Beginners Guide To Bank Account Bonuses
- Bank Account Quick Reference Table (Spreadsheet) (very useful for sorting bonuses by different parameters)
- PSA: Don’t Call The Bank
- Introduction To ChexSystems
- Banks & Credit Unions That Are ChexSystems Inquiry Sensitive
- What Banks & Credit Unions Do/Don’t Pull ChexSystems?
- How To Use Our Direct Deposit Page For Bank Bonuses Page
- Common Bank Bonus Misconceptions + Why You Should Give Them A Go
- How Many Bank Accounts Can I Safely Open Within A Year For Bank Bonus Purposes?
- Affiliate Links & Bank Bonuses – We Won’t Be Using Them
- Complete List Of Ways To Close Bank Accounts At Each Bank
- Banks That Allow/Don’t Allow Out Of State Checking Applications
- Bank Bonus Posting Times