Update 1/17/21: Deal is back
- Open a new Merrill Edge account with promo code 1000ME and transfer between $20,00 and $200,000 in assets to get the following bonus tiers:
- Transfer $200,000 or more and get a $1,000 bonus (standard is $600)
- Transfer $100,000 or more and get a $500 bonus (standard is $250)
- Transfer $50,000 or more and get a $250 bonus (standard is $150)
- Transfer $20,000 or more and get a $100 bonus (this is the standard)
The Fine Print
- Offer valid for new individual Merrill IRAs or Cash Management Accounts (CMAs).
- Offer is limited to one CMA and one IRA, with no more than two enrolled accounts per accountholder.
- Cash bonus offers, in the aggregate, are limited to one CMA and one IRA per accountholder.
- Eligible Merrill Edge IRAs limited to Rollover, Traditional, Roth and Sole-Proprietor SEP only. The Merrill IRA or CMA may be a Merrill Edge Self-Directed account, Merrill Edge Advisory Account or Merrill Guided Investing account.
- You may be eligible for a different or better offer. Please contact us for more information.
- This offer does not apply to business/corporate accounts, investment club accounts, partnership accounts and certain fiduciary accounts held with Merrill, or to any types of accounts (including IRAs or CMAs) held with other business units of Merrill Lynch, Pierce, Fenner & Smith Incorporated (MLPF&S).
- Merrill reserves the right to change or cancel this offer at any time, without notice. This offer may not be used as an inducement to sell any kind of insurance, including annuities.
- You must have the qualifying balance 180 days after funding.
- Must fund your account within 45 days with funds originating outside Bank of America and MLPF&S. Funds cannot originate from 401(k) accounts administered by MLPF&S.
- For purposes of this offer, qualifying net new assets are calculated by adding total incoming assets or transfers (including cash, securities and/or margin debit balance transfers) from external accounts, and subtracting assets withdrawn or transferred out of the account within the preceding 52 weeks.
- Your one-time cash reward will be deposited into your IRA or CMA within two weeks following the end of the 180 day period. If your account is enrolled in an investment advisory program, such as Merrill Edge Advisory Account, Merrill Guided Investing or Merrill Guided Investing with an Advisor, any cash reward deposited into your account will be subject to the program fee and other terms of the investment advisory program.
- The value of this reward you receive may constitute taxable income. In addition, Merrill may issue an Internal Revenue Service Form 1099 (or other appropriate form) to you that reflects the value of this reward. Please consult your tax advisor, as Bank of America Corporation and its affiliates and associates do not provide tax advice.
The standard Merrill Edge offer is to get between $100-$600; with this offer it’s $100-$1,000. It’s been a really long time since we’ve seen this offer publicly (I believe it was end of 2016); since then we’ve seen similar offers targeted to those who attended a specific expo or a slightly worse $900 offer. This one looks like an ordinary public offer with a public landing page which anyone can do by entering the promo code.
Truth be told, Merrill agents might always be able to apply this $1,000 offer manually, but it’s easier to do when it’s a public online offer and you don’t have to make requests. Note that the standard $600 bonus offer only requires holding the funds there for 90 days while this $1k offer requires 180 days. Another note: if my memory serves me right, when I did a Merrill bonus a number of years ago, I did not get a 1099 form for the bonus (despite the terms).
There are lots of brokerage bonuses, but an additional reason a lot of us are interested in using Merrill Edge is due to their Preferred Rewards structure which can give you a regular 2.62% earnings on all spend and other nice earning opportunities. The 2.62% rate works both on the Premium Rewards card and on the Travel Rewards card. Keep in mind, you do need also a Bank of America checking account to qualify for Preferred Rewards.
Please do you own research or ask your financial advisers before making a change in your investment plans. It won’t be right for everyone, plus there are tax implications if not done properly (you need to ‘transfer in kind’ to avoid taxation event). We’ll add this to our List of Best Brokerage Bonuses.
Hat tip to reader Patient of Credit (see what he did there?)