Update 12/10/20: Available again.
Update 11/13/20: Available again.
Update 11/5/20: Available again. Date window seems to be 12/5 – 3/8, but might be larger (share your DP in the comments below)
Earlier this month Southwest allowed customers flying 737 MAX8 to change their flights for free, including any cost difference between flights. Normally you can change flights for free, but you have to pay any difference in the fare. For example if your original flight cost $80 and the new flight costs $100 then you would be charged $20. Now that the 737 MAX8 has been grounded Southwest is offering an even more generous change policy for the rest of March (this is now probably due to COVID). The rules are as follows:
- Original flight needs to be in March
- Flight can be changed to any flight within 14 days either side of original flight
- Flight your changing to must be the same route (although metro area changes are allowed)
Dans Deals goes into some additional details about this policy here. Honestly this seems overly generous and I’m not 100% sure why Southwest is doing this given they aren’t flying the 737 MAX8 anymore. I can’t see this lasting personally as you’re effectively able to purchase a super cheap flight during an off peak time and then change it into a more expensive peak time flight.
- Update 10/22/20: Available again.
- Update 10/14/20: Available again.
- Update 10/7/20: Available again.
- Update 9/29/20: Available again. Hat tip to camaro2ss
- Update 7/20/20: Available again. Hat tip to mikep4
- Update 6/24/20: Had previously stopped working for a few days, working again. Hat tip to reader Carly M
- Update 6/21/20: Working for flights through September 10th, 2020. Hat tip to SEA of Churn.
- Update 6/10/20: This is working again, not sure on exact dates it’ll work for. Hat tip to hornet1212
- Update 5/20/20: This had stopped working for a few days, but is now working again for flights through August. Hat tip to ChurnCat
- Update 4/5/20: Available again, cutoff June 5th or 6th. Hat tip to reader Matt A
- Update 3/18/20: Available again, not sure on the specific flights.
- Update 2/13/2020: Available again, this time from 6/10/2020 to 7/10/2020.
- Update 1/15/2020: Looks like this is active again, this time on flights from 4/14 through 6/6. Hat tip to mikep4