Spirit has announced a new frequent flyer loyalty program called ‘Free Spirit‘. The new program will officially launch on January 21, 2021 but you can join now and start earning points and status.
Free Spirit will have three status levels:
- Free Spirit Members. This is the basic level that everybody starts as and you earn 6x points per dollar spent on airfare and 12x points per dollar spent on Á La Smarte options (seats and bags)
- Silver Members. This requires earning 2,000 SQPs (status qualifying points).
- Earns 8x points per dollar spent on airfare and 16x points per dollar spent on Á La Smarte options (seats and bags)
- Free shortcut security and boarding, same-day standby, and seat selection at check-in
- Dedicated guest care line, ability to create a points pool and no redemption fees
- Gold Members. This requires earning 5,000 SQPs (status qualifying points).
- Earns 10x points per dollar spent on airfare and 20x points per dollar spent on Á La Smarte options (seats and bags)
- All silver benefits (see above)
- Free flight flex
- First checked and carry-on bag
- Seat selection at booking (including exit rows)
- Free inflight beverage and snacks
Points used to expire after 90 days, they will now not expire for one year and can be extended with activity. Spirit credit cardholders points will not expire.
Pool Your Points
You’ll now be able to pool points with up to 8 friends and family members. It looks like you need at least Silver status to do this (unclear if everybody needs Silver or just one person).
Points & Cash
It will be possible to use a combination of points & cash to pay for flights starting at 1,000 points + cash.
It’s not clear what the redemption rates will be, but Spirit states that flights will start at 2,500 points per flight (same as current price). It looks like it’ll be tied to the cash rate, rather than the distance based award chart currently used. I can’t imagine most people spending enough with Spirit for Elite Status but points earned on the co-branded credit card do count towards status as well.