- American Express is offering 20,000 Membership Rewards points when you add an authorized user and they spend $2,000 within six months
- There is also another offer but for only 5,000 Membership Rewards
The Fine Print
- Valid until September 7, 2021
What You Should Know
- If you aren’t targeted, call American Express to see if they can add the offer to your account. This is usually possible. At the moment the direct links don’t seem to be working either, so calling in regardless of whether you received an e-mail or not seems like it’s required.
- SSN is not required when you add an authorized user, but you need to provide one within 60 days of account opening (people have been denied the bonus in the past for not providing this in time)
- American Express authorized user accounts do count towards your Chase 5/24 status/total.
No, you can be added as an authorized and then sign up for the card as the primary cardholder and still receive the sign up bonus.
Who needs to spend the money to trigger the bonus?
Authorized user needs to complete the spend requirement. Keep in mind authorized users have their own unique card number so this is easy to track. It’s highly unlikely that spend completed by the primary cardholder will trigger the bonus.
Very nice deal if targeted, normally the bonuses are for 2,500 or 5,000 but with lower spend requirements. Interesting that American Express has upped this offer and also the pay over time offer.
Hat tip to FM