Offer at a glance
- Maximum bonus amount: $400
- Availability: Nationwide
- Direct deposit required: Yes, two recurring direct deposits
- Additional requirements: None
- Hard/soft pull: Soft
- ChexSystems: Mixed data points
- Credit card funding: Can fund up to $250 with a credit card
- Monthly fees: $24.95, avoidable
- Early account termination fee:
- Household limit: None
- Expiration date: July 13, 2021
- U.S. Bank is offering a bonus of $400 when you open a new Platinum Checking Package and complete the following requirements:
- Two or more recurring direct deposits and
- 10 or more debit card transactions totaling $50 or more within 60 days of account opening
The Fine Print
- You must use the promotion code listed on these offers when you apply. If you navigate away from this page, the promotion code is not automatically included, and you will need to manually input the code during your application.
- Limit one checking offer bonus per person
- A minimum deposit of $25 is required to open a U.S. Bank consumer checking account.
- To earn the $400 bonus offer, you must open a new U.S. Bank consumer Platinum Checking Package online by July 13, 2021.
- You must also complete recurring direct deposits that total $5,000 or more and complete 10 or more debit card transactions totaling fifty dollars ($50.00) or more using your associated debit card within 60 days of account opening.
- All transactions must be posted to the account within those 60 days.
- Pending transactions,
- ATM withdrawals and withdrawals at a branch using your debit card are not qualifying transactions. A direct deposit is an electronic deposit of your paycheck or government benefits (such as Social Security) from your employer or the government.
- Other electronic deposits or person to person payments are not considered a direct deposit.
- Additionally, you must complete 10 or more debit card transactions totaling fifty dollars ($50.00) or more using your associated debit card within 60 days of account opening.
- All transactions must be posted to the account within those 60 days. Pending transactions, ATM withdrawals and withdrawals at a branch using your debit card are not qualifying transactions.
- The checking account bonus will be deposited into your new checking account within 60 days of direct deposit verification and verification of debit card transactions as long as your account is open and has a positive balance.
- Bonus will be reported as interest earn on IRS form 1099-INT and recipient is responsible for any applicable taxes.
- Offer may not be combined with any other checking account bonus offers.
- Offer is not valid if you or any signer on the account has an existing U.S. Bank consumer checking account, had a U.S. Bank consumer checking account in the last six months, or received other U.S. Bank bonus offers within the past 12 months.
- All bank account bonuses are treated as income/interest and as such you have to pay taxes on them
Platinum checking account has a $24.95 monthly fee. This is waived if you do any of the following:
- You have $25,000 in combined personal deposits or credit balances with U.S. Bank and/or investments through U.S. Bancorp Investments.
- You have a personal trust relationship with U.S. Bank Wealth Management.
- You are a current or former member of the Armed Forces. Learn how U.S. Bank supports those who serve.
Early Account Termination Fee
There is no early account termination fee to worry about
$400 is the best checking bonus U.S. Bank offers, unfortunately this time it requires a Platinum account whereas normally an easy checking or gold checking account are eligible and those are significantly easier to keep fee free. Because this account is so difficult to keep fee free I’d recommend waiting for the other offer to return and won’t be adding this to the best bank bonus page.
Hat tip to reader Payten R
Useful posts regarding bank bonuses:
- A Beginners Guide To Bank Account Bonuses
- Bank Account Quick Reference Table (Spreadsheet) (very useful for sorting bonuses by different parameters)
- PSA: Don’t Call The Bank
- Introduction To ChexSystems
- Banks & Credit Unions That Are ChexSystems Inquiry Sensitive
- What Banks & Credit Unions Do/Don’t Pull ChexSystems?
- How To Use Our Direct Deposit Page For Bank Bonuses Page
- Common Bank Bonus Misconceptions + Why You Should Give Them A Go
- How Many Bank Accounts Can I Safely Open Within A Year For Bank Bonus Purposes?
- Affiliate Links & Bank Bonuses – We Won’t Be Using Them
- Complete List Of Ways To Close Bank Accounts At Each Bank
- Banks That Allow/Don’t Allow Out Of State Checking Applications
- Bank Bonus Posting Times